Read this feature in the Swarthmore Bulletin: "Song of the Heart" or my 5-star reviews on Yelp.
This work will transform your voice:
- It completely changed the way I sing, think about singing, and enjoy doing it all! Probably one of the most singular and helpful 3 hour periods of my life. I'll be going again soon.
- Working with you has given me delicious freedom around my voice and singing...I was totally amazed and surprised by the depth, richness, and beauty of the sound bursting forth from me
- This man is magic...Ever since [his advanced workshop], I've been using parts of my voice that I thought only existed in myth...It's the encouragement you've been waiting for to really look deeper into the soul and mechanics of your sound without some dude behind a table telling you what's good. (Read full post here)
- Welp. Jonathan cracked my voice open in a way I've never accomplished previously and it was a terrifying, lovely, hilarious experience that somehow got crammed into a mere hour. He's amazing and the sweetest and you should drop your wee precious vocal chords into his care, like now. *head explodes*
- A vocal journey that has completely transformed the way I relate to my voice, and one that consistently reinvigorates my love of acting. Jon's work is groundbreaking...Shortly after taking the class I cut a voice-over demo which landed me a job with a voice-over studio here in the city, where I've subsequently recorded two complete cartoon series as well as a host of other smaller jobs. Jon's work is totally accessible to anyone and everyone, even if you hate singing and the sound of your own voice. In fact, by the time it's over, you won't anymore. I promise.
- Extraordinary in every way. I learned technique without feeling anxious or berated, like I have in the past by teachers with antiquated teaching methods who were so called "reputable" singing teachers. Jon Stancato is the finest vocal teacher I have ever experienced, and I will not list the notables whom I have studied with. He is superior in a gamut of techniques, which in just a few hours, led to the profound transformation of three of his student's voices, along with the human quality of exhibiting how to perform in an authentic, powerful way. If you get the opportunity to work with Jon Stancato you will be a better human being by doing so, and by just experiencing the precious gift that he is to the art of singing.
- You unlocked different voices in me I didn't know I had!
- Jon's vocal work helped me find surprising, wonderful sounds in parts of my voice I could not have discovered through imitation or effort. They not only presented a more imaginative range of spoken and sung sounds for the stage, but added a layer of depth to my own speaking voice.
- Jon's unique approach to discovering the voice has helped me to grow in a very short space of time from technically competent to something much more organic and sensitive. By exploring the extremities of my own voice, I have found sounds I never knew I was capable of making, but also the familiar sounds have become much easier, much more emotionally connected. Sometimes in the past, I think I have been so concerned about vocal safety that I have limited how I express myself, but Jon has taught me that I can make any sound safely by releasing tension and truthfully connecting the sound to a real desire to make the sound; revolutionary yet it should be so obvious!
- I enjoyed singing my secret so much! With so much love, that you led us to deepen, my heart found her voice and sang through the judgement that has lived in my head since I can remember. Thanks! What fun!
- The work that Jon does feels like so much more then vocal training- Its vocal therapy. He encourages you to go to the places of your voice that have been kept in the dark and brings them to light. With him, the pejoratives we so frequently apply to our voices erode, and we our left with the raw beauty that lies in the truth of our unhindered sound. I had forgotten the joy of singing felt like and Jon provided a much needed reminder.
- I really enjoyed how a random collection of strangers could share so much love, trust and support during a transient three hours. Releasing our minds to connect our bodies, selves and voices made for an exhilarating day
- This morning gave me so much to think about in regards to inhabiting my voice and my body with love. I'm so grateful for our time together, and I've already been bragging you up to my roommates
- It was a life altering experience! I left with a clearer outlook and a new grasp on self-love. Can't wait to take another class with you!
- Life-changing for anyone seeking to access expression through hidden places in the body and soul. I released tension I didn't know was there and was able to improve my singing greatly immediately afterward. I would recommend everyone to go and experience Jon's unique workshop for yourself, you never know what you will find out about yourself, and your voice.
- I wanted to say how incredible I found your workshop... you made what is (at least for me) quite a traumatic experience, one of the most liberating and enjoyable things I've done - thank you! It was great to hear everyone's voices blossom.
- An amazing blend of technique and play. Jon is an incredibly insightful and sensitive teacher who was able to help myself and fellow class participants change not only the sound/ strength of our voices, but also greatly increase the meaning we were able to transmit through sound to others.
- [One] aspect of your class that I really appreciated was the emphasis you placed on pleasure as being at the core of creative work. During the first couple of exercises we did, i realized that, shockingly, I can't remember sensual pleasure ever being emphasized as a basic component of performing theater/music in any class I have ever taken.
- Jon’s classes are an enlivened and fun adventure inward and joyful discovery of vocal expression. He’s a gem of a teacher.
- Three hours so well spent. I’m on my way to rediscovering the love for my voice and singing that I had as a child, and that is a precious thing! I’m also feeling energized to work at it – to give time to coming to know my voice in a holistic and lifelong way.
- Anyone living in NYC, I went to a truly amazing singing workshop this past Saturday that was completely free. It was the most vulnerable I have ever been with complete strangers: scary at first and then marvelous and I'm so happy I went.
- It opened up a whole host of new possibilities for me around voice, authentic communication, pleasure, performance, and more.
- Jon's workshop and techniques helped me to open around people in ways that I would not in real life, to explore the personality of my voice without self-consciousness and with the support of a group. I left feeling totally elevated, just joyful inside and proud of myself, proud to be a part of a shared experience with a group of people I had never met before.
- I've always had real insecurities with my voice but how you worked with us was so encouraging (and fun!) that all doubt was easy to overcome. Through the work I have been able to reach new notes and discover sounds I didn't know were possible to make with the human voice. It is also the first time in all my training that the word "resonator" has gained a meaning for me!
- Jon Stancato is the real f****ing deal. If you want to take your journey deeper, this work will do it.
- Would you like to turn your entire world inside out and achieve congress with the spirit realm, but can't source ayahuasca in New York? Fear not...
- Jon's techniques helped me to explore my emotional range connecting to my true self with my naked voice. It was shocking and liberating!
- Thank you for such a grounding, opening, and cathartic experience. "My voice is me." * Mind changing *
- I had literally no idea what I was signing up for apart from the vague notion that I would sing something. So, I did not expect the euphoria or the sense of purpose or, quite honestly, the feeling that I was engaged in a spiritual practice. The unconventional exploration of voice and identity and vulnerability and inner-silliness brought up a part of me I hope to see so much more of. Jon is an empathetic, insightful, respectful and trust-worthy guide throughout the entire process.
- Jonathan helped me reveal the precious little monsters within me; layers of expression, gems of personality and deep internal discoveries that I didn't realize were part of me
- My body is buzzing with vibration and I feel my voice opening to new pathways of expression.
- In all my training as an actor (BFA and MFA included!), my voice has never felt so... Creative. Do it. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll learn and you'll love.
- It was the perfect antidote to the stress-inducing, pitch-matching, piano-banging voice lessons of my youth.
- Great for singers who want to vastly expand not just range and tonality but vocal character. Fair warning, this involves probing the depths and giving voice to the unconscious urges lurking beneath. So, yeah, it involves courage. Well worth it if you ask me. Jon is doing work unlike anyone in NYC. Highly recommended.
- Even after being a music major in college this class pushed me to think about my personal voice and the emotions within.
- Lovely experience. Mind-blowing teacher!
- Sing a Secret is much more than a simple voice class. Jon is an incredibly soulful, compassionate and sensitive teacher, and his class enabled me to connect with myself and others in a profoundly intimate way. It was a great reminder that the best performers are those who can share a part of themselves with others. Oh and it's lots of fun!
- I had many "Aha!" moments in the three hours I spent with Jon. He shows up with a complex of experience and is there with a really generous presence for each singer as they explore their voice.
- Jon created for us a judgement free zone in which we felt courageous enough to venture into the unknown of our vocal capabilities.
- Something I will carry with me everywhere and play with every chance I get in the future.